Friday, September 23, 2011

Fall Update

Late Summer Harvest


The night-time temperatures continue to drop and I'm sure before long, the first hard frost will nip everything lovely in our garden, so it fills me with joy to take my big bowl out into the garden and nab everything harvestable. Many of these will be canned (like Elderberry Syrup) or Diced Tomatoes. Many will get enjoyed (like the strawberries, thank you Ever-Bearing Strawberries!) and some will be put to good use in quick breads and cakes (thank you, ever producing zucchini).

In last week's CSA pick-up, we took the plunge and grabbed an eggplant. We don't normally cook it, so it was a fun experiment and while many recipes call for more than one eggplant, this one fit the bill and gave us more reasons to use up the garden harvest while rejoicing in exotic flavours:

Baingan Bharta
I followed the exact recipe here at All Recipes and was really pleased with how it turned out.

The second recipe is full of fall flavours and I was able to pressure can some for the winter, leaving my deep freeze for the larger cuts of local meat we intend to buy and store.



Autumn Harvest Soup
Inspired and Adapted from Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup at Dates and Quinces.

3 cups cleaned and chopped carrots
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
1 tsp oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 head of local garlic, roasted (for tips on roasting and a fantastic mustard recipe, go here)
1 apple, cored and chopped (peel on)
3 cups water
4 cups chicken stock
1 tsp Madras curry powder
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Salt and Pepper to taste
Optional: sour cream or yogurt

1. Over medium heat, warm oil and sautee onions until softened. Add in curry powder and toast flavours for about a minute.
2. Add in water, stock, sweet potatoes, carrots, garlic and apple and reduce heat to low. Cover and stir occasionally, about 45 minutes - 1 hour.
3. Let cool and puree in batches (or use an immersion blender) and add in remaining spices and seasoning. Serve with dollop of sour cream or yogurt. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic. Yep, I am now psychotically pinning too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipes. That top picture is gorgeous. Where did you guys pick those elderberries? I'd love to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda - I got the elderberries from my neighbour two doors down. I wonder if you could wildcraft any? I see people who have elderberry trees and leave the berries and I'm always tempted to knock on their door and ask for them. Maybe you're braver then me? :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...