Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcake

Delicious, Local Dessert

So 30 lbs of strawberries later (not counting the strawberries coming in from my own patch) and I've done almost every preserve imaginable, including a batch of strawberry wine and some strawberry liqueur. I've had a lot of energy the last few weeks, which is handy, because as the third trimester is a little over a month away, I know the return of that soul-crushing fatigue will soon be upon me and I won't have the time or energy to preserve like I used to. But for now, more than 10 lbs of berries are frozen and squirreled away for the winter and now it's time for full on gorging of these suckers.

As usual, Darlene King at Harrowsmith Country Life has a recipe that is begging to be tried. If you aren't a Harrowsmith subscriber yet, give it a whirl. It's the only magazine I've never thrown out and still refer to past issues. This one comes from June 2010's issue.

Shortcakes with Rhubarb Compote and Fresh Strawberries
Darlene King, Harrowsmith Country Life, June 2010

Flour and Butter Combined
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour (don't do what I did. I love Speerville, but their whole "white" flour must not contain enough gluten or something. They're always a little flat and too grainy for a delicate shortcake like this)
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup butter (I kept mine chilled)
3/4 cup whipping cream (35% cream)

1. Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Sift dry ingredients together and with the paddle attachment or with a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
3. Stir in all but 1 tbsp of the cream until just combined and move to a well floured surface. Knead until just combined and pat out into 1/2 inch. Cut out 6x3" biscuits (I wouldn't recommend using a screw band from a mason jar, but I was rushed for time and it seemed 3 inch"ish")


All Lathered Up and Ready to Bake
4. Lather the shortcakes in the whipping cream and bake for 15 minutes or so.

Voila! The baked cakes.


Rhubarb Compote

5. I had some preserved rhubarb in syrup kicking around, hidden in the fridge, so I simmered it for 10 minutes or so, but if you have some frozen rhubarb still hanging out in your freezer, try 2 cups of rhubarb with 1 1/2 cups of sugar for a rhubarb stew.

Completing the Dish

6. Add some freshly whipped cream, your stewed rhubarb and some freshly sliced berries between your sliced shortcake. I added a mint chiffonade, mostly because I kept the flavours pretty classic and thought the mint would add a citrus brightness. It worked and was really tasty. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Delicious! There can never be enough rhubarb and strawberries in the world. How did the scones turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought they were great, but they didn't sell well. :( I had them paired up with the Oatmeal Cranberry Lemon Zest one, so I can see it didn't stand much of a chance. Still, the family was excited I brought them home and they were perfect with preserves.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...