Sunday, July 3, 2011

Strawberry-Palooza


We learned one very important lesson during our 100 Mile (winter) Challenge - we needed more fruit! This year, I'm determined to can and freeze like a crazy woman so if we do undertake another challenge, we'll have some variety. U-Picks are great places to stock up and although it was a rotten year for strawberries, I was pumped to find a place that offered great prices and had availability. So, we went to town:

Not the most flattering shot...
Hardcore Picker

We picked and picked and picked. Well, mostly I did. Honey Bear did a lot of eating, collecting straw and stepping all over the berries while Jeff did a little picking, but mostly eating. I'm thankful they didn't weigh us before we picked.

Honey Bear scoping out the pickings

After about an hour of picking, we ended up with 14 + lbs of strawberries. Most are destined for my preserves shop, but a good chunk of them are getting frozen or turned into strawberry wine. While it's a lot of work now, the pay off will be worth it in the dead of winter.

4 comments:

  1. Picking is on my ist for this week. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous...I can't convince Rob to go since he remembers being used as berry-picking slave labour as a kid ;) It'll be worth it come January, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard work, but at $1/lb, I couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that is an amazing price. Nothing that cheap here for Pick your Own. Def worth it for that

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...