Saturday, July 16, 2011

First Harvest Supper

Summer Harvest Supper


It has only dawned on me now: I divide my plate like my toddler's. Clearly I haven't learned anything from cooking shows on TV and layering food properly. So, presentation aside, it was all super delicious. The first vegetables are coming in from our CSA and we are loving the bounty of chard, beet tops, pak choi, new potatoes, broccoli, napa cabbage, spring garlic and rapini. I love all these options and the varities of meals you can prepare. We had the tail end of an Atlantic salmon squirrled away in the freezer and it made the perfect addition to all these beautiful vegetables. Incidentally, I realized it also made for a super healthy prenatal meal with all the oils from the fish and those dark leafy greens. If I keep it up, maybe it'll make for a healthy, intelligent baby?

Here is my favourite way to do up swiss chard or beet tops:

1 lb beet tops or swiss chard
1 small onion, sliced
1 clove garlic or bulb of spring garlic, minced
1/2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar or honey
salt and pepper to taste
*optional: diced tomato and/or bacon (if using bacon, sautee first to render fat and once crispy, remove and return to finished dish. Proceed to sautee onion and garlic in bacon fat.)

1. De-stem and soak your tops. Drain well and put through a salad spinner.
2. In 1/2 tbsp olive oil and over medium heat, sautee half a sliced onion and some garlic (or spring garlic, in our case).
3. Once caramalized, throw in your tops. I didn't bother cutting them into bite sized pieces. Put a lid on it until tops have wilted enough and there's room to stir your mixture.
4. Reduce heat and continue cooking with lid on until all the tops have wilted. If using a diced tomato, now's the time to add it. You'd like it to stew a bit with the mixture.
5. Remove lid and season with vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust. Serve hot.

The broccoli is simply steamed and the new potatoes scrubbed and boiled. The salmon steaks were seasoned and seared before finishing in the oven at 300 degrees and this sauce brought the whole dish together:

Creamy Dill Sauce
Creamy Dill Sauce
Serves: 3

2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp yogurt
2 tbsp fresh dill
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp grainy mustard
salt and pepper

Mix together and serve over fish. It was so delicious and it was a shame Honey Bear took a few bites before asking for porridge. Still, she watched us eating it and loving it and I'm hoping before long, she'll clue into the sheer joy of eating locally grown and lovingly prepared foods. One can hope, right?!

4 comments:

  1. We had swiss chard too! Just layered a pot with a bit of chicken stock, peppers, garlic and chard. Everything cooked on the outside stove. Good grief it is hot!

    Our babes threw the chard on the floor and gnawed on the pork chops instead. Oddly, there was still room for panna cotta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love recipes that involve cooking things in bacon fat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping that it doesn't take Honey Bear as long, but Connor has, in the last year, taken to eating whatever he's given. Eleven years is a long time to wait, but dangit, I wasn't giving up. Just so you know even the hardest, stubbornest, pickiest eater will eventually realize Mamas are harder & stubborn-er. And your babe is going to be brilliant even if you were chowing on nuggets & fries - you're the mama, right?
    BTW, would you like some books for H.B? I need to sort through ours & think there are some that might be just right for her age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane - there is ALWAYS room for dessert. I'm just glad Honey Bear prefers fruit to full on desserts. One day she'll know the sheer joy of chard!

    Alyson - bacon fat sisters, forever! ;)

    CraftyMama - I love stories of hope. 11 years is a while, but I'm sure I would have hated chard at her age as well. Most of the food I hated as a kid is now my favourite, so obviously it emerged from my DNA. As for the books there's a reason Honey Bear's real name is shared with a literary character; this kid CONSUMES books. I'd love some books with many thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...