Monday, July 18, 2011

Afternoon Tea

Sunflower Thumbprint Cookies with Strawberry Preserves
AdventuresinDinner has totally inspired me not to let food die in my fridge and despite my best intentions to make a peant-free spread that Honey Bear would like, my poor Sunflower Butter was wasting away at the bake of the fridge, but crafty mama's know that sometimes, you need some ingenuity to get that food eaten and this did the trick. Also made for a lovely afternoon treat.

Sunflower Butter and Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Adapted from this Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint recipe at My Recipes

2 cups all purpose "white" flour (closer to a whole wheat)
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup sunflower butter
1/4 cup margarine
2 cups eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Jam

1. Combine dry ingredients.
2. Combine sugars, margarine in a large bowl or stand mixer and stir until whipped. Add eggs one at a time. Add in vanilla and gradually add in dry ingredients.
3. With oiled hands, roll out little balls of cookie dough onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and indent middle with your thumb. Refigerate for one hour.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes and allow to fully cool before adding about 1/2 tsp of jam. (I got impatient and added the jam, leaving a jammy pool under the cookie. Really is best to follow directions sometimes!)

Putting Strawberry Vanilla Jam to Good Use!


Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Oh! You are the lift that I totally needed today-the house is a mess (more holes and lots of banging as the new roof and rooms go on), I'm babysitting my friend's dog, the babes won't sleep, my mom is here for two weeks and the 89 year old father-in-law has commandeered the tv.

    Bless you! I might actually make people a bite to eat tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from the rolling and chilling, it was super fast and really tasty. I would have preferred peanut butter, but you know. Let me know what you think. I just used up little bits of strawberry jam I had kicking around the fridge (which, happens a lot when you run a jam shop!), so it was a helpful recipe in many ways. My babe had trouble sleeping, too and only just got to sleep for an early afternoon nap, despite all the yawning at 9:30 a.m. I don't know who was crankier, her or me? Mama NEEDS her naps now!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...