Thursday, June 2, 2011

Starbucks for Cheapskates

Summerberry Ice Tea Lemonade

So, minus the water, no part of this is local and that's OK. I'm also about saving money and consuming good food. One of my favourite decaffeinated drinks at Starbucks is their Passion Ice Tea Lemonade (semi-sweet, please). It's tangy and refreshing and goes down easy on a very hot day. It is, however, expensive enough for what it is.

We've been spending many of our days outside playing, hanging laundry, working in the garden and sprinting after Honey Bear who insists on heading straight to the road every chance she gets; it's easy to work up a thirst.

Here's my take on an ice tea lemonade that's tart, refreshing and really easy to make.

Summerberry Ice Tea Lemonade

2 Tetley Summerberry tea bags (or any fruity tea, preferably with hibiscus for gorgeous pink colouring)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 1/2 cups water
Boiling water

1. Boil a full kettle of water and in your regular, large tea pot, steep 2 tea bags for about 20 minutes until tea is full strength.
2. In the meantime, in a large pitcher, dissolve sugar with water and lemon juice.
3. When tea has reached full strength, pour over lemonade mixture. It will result in a lukewarm lemonade mixture, which is perfect for dissolving that last bit of sugar. Put in fridge and chill, serve over ice.

* 1/2 cup of sugar may seem like a lot, but it makes almost 12 cups of lemonade and gently offsets the tartness and acidity of the lemon and tea. I like my mixture quite tart, so feel free to adjust the sweetness as necessary. I've never tried natural sweetners, so if you try, please let me know. *

4 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm whipping up a batch for the fridge for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaaand, I just made some. It's delicious. I think we're going to use it as one of the non alcoholic drinks for a wedding I'm in this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived on this drink while I was pregnant! It is a wonder that the baby didn't come-out permanently puckered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer my teas on the sweeter side. Truth be told, I like EVERYTHING on the sweeter side. I'd love to try this recipe, but that would mean drinking something other than water, coffee or beer.

    Let me know when you find a recipe with those three ingredients.

    Aloha ;D

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...