Sunday, May 15, 2011

Shepherd's Pie: The Real Deal

I'm choosing to ignore the fact we've had rain for almost 3 weeks and I'm about to take the desperate step of lying under my grow lights for a pick-me-up by looking on the bright side of rainy days: comfort food!

Shepherd's Pie 
Growing up, Shepherd's Pie was my mother's beloved favourite and our most requested dish of hers. The one dish meal was comforting and hearty and I still turn to it when I'm feeling under the weather. 

After years of making it like my mother, including onion soup mix and a can of cream corn, I've decided to go back to the traditional roots of Shepherd's Pie and I was delighted with the results. Sadly, after making a ramekin sized, milk-free version, I was disheartened that Honey Bear detested it. Still, don't let the taste buds of a picky 20-month old deter you. It's delicious and we devoured it in about 2 days while watching endless amounts of Star Trek.

Shepherd's Pie
Adapted recipe from: Victoria Granof via Epicurious

1 lb local lamb, ground
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, or dried
1 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
1 cup frozen peas
2 lbs of potatoes, chopped
6 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
Paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste.

1. Brown lamb with onion and carrot. When cooked, drain off fat and add stock and tomato paste until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add peas and stir.
2. In the meantime, bring a large pot to boil and add potatoes and proceed to mash them as you like (I omitted the butter and added cream cheese instead).
3. In a baking dish, add meat mixture and top with potatoes. Top with paprika.
4. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. I will armwrestle you for time under the grow lights...our yard is mostly underwater. Ugh.
    Good thing most of us don't like the same food we liked at 20 months, or we'd miss out on so much. Pickyness doesn't last forever, it just feels like it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, what's not to love about shepherd's pie? I've never tried it with lamb - that'll go into my to-do pile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shepherd's pie definitely looks better when you cook it than when I do. My Shepherd's pie looks like....EW.

    Come to my house and cook Shepherd's pie, please.

    Aloha,
    Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely. My favourite part is the toastiness on the top.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...