Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Asparagus: What's Not to Love?

Roasted Lemon Asparagus

I could eat asparagus almost everyday. It's versatile and delicious in many different ways. It's even better when it's finally "Product of Canada". While I could wait a while for my patch to produce enough for a meal, something tells me I'll be waiting a while, since only one stalk has popped up. So, I did the next best thing and waited patiently until the first Canadian asparagus arrived in stores and now I'm going to town!

For once, the vegetables outshone the meat! Everything worked so well together and while I wish I had more time to slap on something more than a bottled bbq sauce on the grilled, local pork chop, it still worked for an incredibly fast dinner that tasted like spring.

Roasted Asparagus

1 1/2 lbs asparagus, washed, trimmed and patted dry
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 tbsp walnut oil
salt and pepper

Dissolve salt in lemon juice, stir in pepper and add in walnut oil, or whatever oil you have handy. Pour over asparagus and rub stalks to coat evenly. Roast at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Warm Potato Salad

2 lbs local potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 tbsp walnut oil
1 tsp fresh lemon thyme
2 tsp fresh thyme
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes in salted water. Drain and toss together with oil, herbs and seasonings.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE anything with asparagus. Have you tried marinating it with balsamic and olive oil and bbq'ing it?

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...