Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Go Big or Go Home


The one thing we realized during the challenge is that in order for local eating to be sustainable, we HAD to stop buying small bags of everything. A small bag of oats was $3.49 and the 2 kg bag of flour was $7.99. That small bag of flour doesn't last long when we bake a lot, making our own breads, pasta and breakfast foods. Cluing in far too late, we only now ordered and just picked up 10 kg bags of Speerville's New Found Oats and an unbleached "white" flour. The prices make it hands-down the way to go and now I no longer have to worry about running out. If storage isn't an issue, it's actually quite easy to talk to stores and ask for products to be ordered in bulk.

I celebrated with another batch of Sneaky Mama Toddler Pancakes and an impromtu batch of Carrot Gingerbread Muffins from Canadian Living, omitting the dairy for rice beverage and margarine and adding pumpkin seeds. If you need an iron booster, these muffins are your new buddies.

I make a lot of breakfast items since it's the one meal of the day I know Honey Bear will get a good chunk of her nutrition. She needs more iron, protein, calcium and calories and since she can't eat dairy and soy and refuses meat and beans (have I mentioned she's fussy?!), I'm at a loss of how to fill in the nutritional gaps, without toiling for hours in the kitchen over food she won't eat. Pancakes and muffins are fun and sneaky ways to add vegetables and vegetarian sources of protein.

I'm open to any and all ideas of foods I'm missing that are protein and iron rich, but not slabs of meat.

8 comments:

  1. Where do you find the time, Lady? You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the Speerville website you can see the entire catalogue list - it's pretty extensive. I buy the big bags too and wouldn't have made it through university without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't thank-you enough for the granola recipe. We added candied ginger and chunks of dark chocolate (just a bit) and have been eating it at an alarming rate.

    We have the opposite problem in our house with the baby possibly getting gout or scurvy from only eating meat.

    Is your wee one able to tolerate goat products?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently when I was two I would only eat ham and Happy Meals... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason - this is not letting me post and reply to the message, so here we go!

    @Mamachromatic - Must be when Honey Bear naps. I have no idea where the time goes, most time it feels like I'm chained to the kitchen!

    @Amy - their catalogue is so fantastic. I could go to town on some of those grains and mixes. Love Speerville!

    @Adventures - Glad you're liking the granola. We're huge fans, too. I think our kids should get together and swap strategies and tips. I don't think she can handle goat's milk - the last time we tried, we had projectile vomit in the back seat of the car, all over the car seat, herself and most of me. It was nasty and I've been terrified to try again. Post Traumatic Goat Milk Experience (PTGME).

    @Improbable - that's so great to read you outgrew your fussiness. There's hope for Honey Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried sneaking pureed beets into brownies, or making fruit/veg juice popsicles?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does Honey Bear eat mashed potatoes? I have a great "Sneaky Potatoes" recipe. You add some navy beans to your potatoes to boost up the protein. They blend in wonderfully. I have fallen in love with them. I don't eat meat, and I make steamed veggies quite often, so the sneaky potatoes adds extra protein to the meal for us.

    http://ohsheglows.com/2010/09/08/high-protein-garlic-mashed-potatoes/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comment and suggestion, T. She doesn't like mashed potatoes, but I love your suggestioin of adding navy beans. I bought some today and am excited to try them in my next batch of mashed potatoes. Also, I'm going to try it hummus style and see if she likes it that way.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...