Saturday, April 9, 2011

Cookies of Love

When I was a kid, I had numerous allergies. There are still foods that bother me, like wheat and yeast, but I've managed to outgrow most of the cumbersome allergies that made birthday parties and social gatherings a drag and often left me feeling the odd person out. I still have traumatic memories of Melissa's birthday at Chuck 'E Cheese in 1986 when I brought my peanut butter and jelly sandwich on cardboard gluten-free bread and little container of goat milk ice cream, while I longingly gazed at the kids scarfing down pepperoni pizza and birthday cake with ice cream (who, for some reason, all sat at a different table, leaving me all alone with my Mom as I tried to swallow my sweet piece of roofing shingle).

Given her parents, it's with no surprise that Honey Bear is having issues with allergies, most importantly, dairy and peanuts. During our 100 Mile Challenge, we mostly focused on ourselves and our meals, as Honey Bear's challenges were enough. Now that we've completed the challenge and struggling to find the balance between local and imported food, we have the added layer of trying to make food we can all enjoy.

I present you: Cookies of Love

Nut Free, Dairy Free

I use an ice cream scooper for perfectly formed cookies and freeze the dough so I can bake a few at a time. I intend to keep these on hand for social gatherings and parties when Honey Bear can't eat the food. It's my way of helping her feel included and special. Sure, she can't have a PB & J sandwich, but she can have these super-fantastic amazing Cookies of Love!

Cookies of Love (a.k.a. Oatmeal Raisin Carob Cookies)


3/4 cup Earth Balance margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp water
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3 cups oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup unsweetened, dairy-free carob chips

1. Cream margarine, sugars, egg, water and vanilla together until creamy. I use the stand mixer on low-medium speed.
2. Meanwhile, mix flour, soda and cinnamon together and add to creamed mixture. Stir.
3. Add in oats, raisins and carob chips.
4. Using an ice cream scoop, portion out the dough. Lightly press down with a fork, for more even baking.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes. Enjoy!

* I reduced the sugar from the original recipe by 1/2 cup because really, do toddlers need MORE excuses for crazy, bouncing-off-the-wall behaviours? Feel free to adjust or play around with natural sweeteners/apple sauce (and if you do, let me know, I'd love to adjust the sugar).

3 comments:

  1. You must be so proud to have developed a recipe that will work! There are lots of great things about eating locally... one of the big things for our family here in Vermont is that we are incorporating more pure, fresh, food, and that we are helping support the farmers who work so hard to keep our land open,sustainable, and beautiful. ~Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look terrific!

    My godson is basically allergic to everything and I can't have any dairy (goat's products are ok) so we've been cooking this way for awhile too.

    I've got an olive oil (you could use any oil) chocolate cake recipe on my blog that is handy for any occassion. We've made it for a variety of birthdays and just change the shape.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...