Tuesday, April 5, 2011

After These Messages....

I'll be right back.


Sorry for the long pause! I've been busy restocking my pantry over at uncanny preserves with lots of goodies like Apple Carrot Butter, Chunky Cherry and Vanilla Jam, Mango Lime Ginger Jam, Mulled Red Wine Jelly, Cherry Preserves in Almond Syrup and more.


In light of my absence, here's a double whammy of recipes. Two very different flavour profiles, two very different countries (although one definitely has the influence of the other), both delicious, comforting and great for these spring evenings.


Mesir Wat
Mesir Wat
Ethiopian Red Lentils
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp peeled, minced ginger
1/4 cup oil
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp tumeric
1/2-2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb red lentils, rinsed
4 cups stock
salt and pepper to taste
Optional: spinach (fresh or frozen) 
1. Put the onion, garlic and ginger in the food processor and blend until puree. 
2. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the tumeric, paprika and cayenne pepper and stir rapidly to color the oil and cook spices through, about 30 seconds.
3. Add the onion puree and sautee for 5-10 minutes. Do not burn.
4. Add lentils and stock to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until the lentils are cooked through, about 30-40 minutes. Add salt, pepper and spinach until wilted. Serve with basmati rice, naan bread or injera. Enjoy!

Minestrone


Minestrone Soup with Pasta, Beans and Vegetables
Copyright, 2006, Robin Miller

I followed this recipe almost to the "tee", except for the pasta (mini shells) and instead of Parmesan on top, I added a rind I had in the freezer. I added it with the spinach and zucchini and let it cook about an hour. I made sure to stir frequently as you don't want the rind to stick to the bottom of your crock pot and burn. Overall, it was the perfect flavour for the soup that got imbued right into the broth. This soup is a complete winner.




2 comments:

  1. The red lentils look FAB! I am going to have to try these really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the minestrone! I haven't made a minestrone in ages.

    And you already know of my love for lentils. =)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...