Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Nectar of Heaven

Syrup for All!
If it was legal or healthy to drink it by the glassful, I would. I adore maple syrup and enjoy it in both savoury and sweet treats, but a quick glance at the nutritional guide reminds me I should ease up on my love. I tend to justify it with the whole "natural" and a "source of calcium" until my pants get snug. That hasn't happened, so I'm going for it! 

Our trip to the sugar bush is always a highlight of the year. I can't wait until the snow recedes enough and the days become warmer to make the near 30 minute trek one way to the camp we like best. We love Neil Ripley's camp in Fenwick, Nova Scotia. He's built a camp that is sustainable and environmentally conscious, but you forget all that because you walk into the barn and are greeted with the most heavenly smell of boiling sap. If you've never experienced it, it's a treat beyond compare. So many smiling faces and so many bouncing children (haha....parents will pay for that later!). The place really does look like this sign:


So, we go a little nuts and use up a fourth of our food budget for the month and go all out. Bought 2-4L jugs, a small littun' to use as a gift and some maple candy. I use a lot of syrup in my canning and we eat more than enough pancakes to justify all the syrup (remember: Natural and Source of Calcium!). Maple syrup freezes really well because it will never freeze as a solid, always ready to be poured in your favourite jar and thrown back in the freezer.

If that's not enough to convince you. How about these?


That's what I'm talking about. 

So, to celebrate the return of maple syrup and the return of sweet, warm days pour some of your local maple syrup over your favourite pancakes. 


Buckwheat Panckes (double batched - they also freeze beautifully)
Source: All Recipes

1 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used Gluten-Free, but anything works)
1/2 cup oatmeal
6 tsp baking powder
2 cups milk
4 tbsp canola oil
4 tbsp honey (or maple syrup, that'd be keeping with the theme)
2 eggs, lightly beaten.

1. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients and stir in milk, oil, honey and egg. Stir well, but avoid over mixing. Keep in fridge for a couple hours. 
2. Pan fry away.

7 comments:

  1. OH! Must have syrup tonight! I'm going to hunt-up my gran's maple syrup pudding recipe as soon as I am home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need more maple syrup for curing bacon. I'm almost out and still have half a pork belly to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmm. I love real maple syrup.

    I need a whole day to dig through your blog! I love it. You're making me consider a locavore challenge of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up on Aunt Jemamia and Mrs. Buttersworth, but DH's fam is from New England and he only would use real maple syrup. I have to say we are not going back anytime soon to that junk. I had some with my cream of wheat this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget, looking at the blissful faces of the people walking OUT as you're walking IN to Ripley's...the trip there always seems to go so much faster ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I totally adore maple syrup. And with buckwheat pancakes? Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pancakes look yummy and oh, the maple candies...my favorite! We're busy boiling down our sap right now. It promises to be a long, long night or a really, really early morning (depending how you look at it). But, in the end it is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...