Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 79: Social Sally's

We've had the good fortune of visiting with friends and enjoying some lovely hospitality and some fantastic meals, including Ethiopian Doro Wett, homemade injera and a out-of-this-world lentil dish and a hearty beef stew with a Chocolate Guinness Cake (two words: ah-mazing).

Luckily, we had some equally amazing food at home, like this Chicken Tetrazzini. Just ignore the random bits of celery - Jeff had a veggie tray come home with him from church and I wasn't about to waste the celery, so in it went.


It was so creamy and hardy; perfect for those still cold March nights. It made lots, so we've been enjoying it, along with some very tasty Whole Wheat and Maple Scones:



I found the recipe here and just omitted the sugar and glaze. They were perfect with a big dollop of jam. I even experimented by freezing them, pre-bake and was very happy with the results. 


3 comments:

  1. Oh! The Guinness and Chocolate Cake! Is this the recipe from Green and Black? I've made that a bunch of times and it is gone in an instant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I'm not sure. I just know it was amazing. My friend ran out of flour, so substituted some fresh ground oats (about a cup's worth) and it made it dense and fudgey.

    I was just eyeballing your pergoie lasagna and debating about giving it a whirl. As much as I want perogies, I *so* don't want to do all that rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rolling just never ends. There is a point with pierogies that you feel you have been making them for hours and are still not 1/2way through.

    You know, a nice variation of that recipe (a bit lighter) is to have a layer of cottage cheese (or yogurt cheese, or ricotta) in it.

    I will now have to make that luscious cake! You could easily use some local, dark beer in the place of the guinness. It'll be just as nice.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...