Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 75: St. Patrick's Day and The Stew of Shame

So in an effort to make a fantastic and authentic St. Patrick's meal, I had to cheat and use canned tomatoes (see ranty explanation here). I had plans to make this rustic stew with earthy Irish Soda bread and rest assured, I did. I just forgot to get pictures of the stew. It shall hereby be known as: My delicious stew of shame. It was a basic beef stew recipe, the kind that you tediously dredge each piece of cut, patted down beef in flour, cook in small batches, turning each piece over to get nice caramelization. Then you deglaze the pan with some  onions, garlic, wine and tomatoes (*shakes fist*), cover and let simmer for a couple hours before tossing in your chunked up carrots, turnips, potatoes with seasoning. You  know, that kind of stew recipe. It's the perfect way to use up a cheap, tough cut of beef. I was able to get a 2-3 lbs roast for $10 and cutting and trimming it myself was a great way to score loads of stewing beef for a great price.

So while you'll have to use your imagination for the Stew of Shame (think brown, hot and plenty of it), the Irish Soda bread totally gets a photo.

Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread
I followed a recipe from All Recipes for Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread, subbing honey for sugar and more butter for margarine. Having never made Irish Soda bread before, I'm not sure what I was expecting. It went nicely with the stew, as it also had this peasant heartiness about it, but it never made it past being an accompaniment to stew. To me, it tasted like a muffin or tea biscuit and it just didn't float our boat. It's now in the freezer where it awaits being repurposed. Maybe a bread pudding with some currants and a custard topping? 

Happy St. Patrick's Day!




2 comments:

  1. Next time I make stew, I am totally calling it Stew of Shame. The kids will love that :) lol
    I also plan on shaking my fist at tomatoes in general. Sassy little buggers...Geez, L, you make me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel any better, soda bread doesn't float my boat either.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...