Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 70: Think Local, Act Global

The 100 Mile Challenge has been a fantastic launching pad to familiarize ourselves with local food issues and helps us be in better relationship with the men and women who help grow, produce and sell our food. Having concern for local matters is important to being a productive member of our community.

However, having concern for local issues doesn't excuse me from being part of a much larger picture. The earthquake and resulting tsunami in Japan yesterday have dominated my thoughts as I watch, with fear and sadness, the overwhelming images of loss and destruction. I'm reminded that issues half a world away are just as profound as local matters as we are all part of the same global community.

My heart goes out to all those who've suffered.

If you'd like to help, Red Cross is a great place to start.

3 comments:

  1. It's horrifying. I have so many friends over there, and I'm glad that they're all okay, but the destruction just makes my stomach plummet. I can't watch the videos of the water rushing in. Terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's so awful. I'm glad your friends are OK, I was worried about you and the many friends you have in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny (not funny ha. ha.) that many of us that explore local food are actually doing it with an eye to making the rest of the world a safer, better place.

    The videos are overwhelming. I honestly haven't been watching any tv. Videos of movies are all I seem to be able to do right now. I guess I'm an ostrich.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...