Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 63: Variations on a Theme

Russian Salad
Or maybe it's Ukrainian. Maybe I should call it Slavic Salad? That's got a nice ring to it. I don't know why it's taken me so long to clue into the fact that Eastern Europe has similar growing patterns and has incredible recipes for the type of vegetables and meat I have available during the challenge. Like this Slavic Salad. I love this salad and while it was a side dish to grilled lamb chops, I much preferred to eat a big bowl of the salad. The salad was made even faster because of my stores of pressure canned cubed and pickled beets. If you've got some root veggies kicking around, give it a try:

4 large potatoes, scrubed
3 large carrots, peeled, finely cubed
1/2 onion, chopped finely
4 large beets, scrubed
1/2 cup cubed pickled beets or pickles
2 tbsp canola oil
Salt, pepper, dried dill to taste

1. Cook whole, unpeeled beets and potatoes together, carrots boiled separately (annoying step, but carrots will cook much faster than the rest).
2. Once cooked, drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. When cool enough to handle, peel beets and potatoes (the skins should slip off easily) and cut into cubes.
3. Combine vegetables all together, including diced pickles and stir in oil and seasonings. Taste and adjust if necessary. I added extra pickled beet juice for more pickle flavour and I'm sure dill pickle juice would work nicely.

Salad with Chops....Muh.

We ate ours with seasoned, grilled pork chops, which wasn't the best combo. I think a nice Kotleta would have been better. Next time!





3 comments:

  1. This looks terrific! Next week I'm making pierogie lasagne and I think that you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that you want to hear this, but just now Riley walked by & said "What are you doing? Finding more disgusting things to cook for dinner?" (Zucchini was not popular last night).
    I talked to Andrew earlier today, and he is planning one more market day, this weekend. He said for you to give him a call at home if you want: 506-538-2608.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Adventures - that sounds amazing! You're right, that's totally up my alley.

    @CraftMama - yah...can't say it looks too child friendly. I'll give Andrew a call and see if he has meat he wants to unload (that always sounds dirty to me....). I'm glad he's giving it one more week before folding. See you there.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...