Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 59: Pretend You're a Cossack

Sryniki 
I was so excited to bring home some Farmer's Cheese as I had fond memories of it from my time in Ukraine. The first time I experienced the cheese, I had no idea what it was or what to do with it. Wrapped up like a chocolate candy, I eagerly tucked into it only to discover it was a cottage cheese looking brick. I slowly thanked my interpreter and pushed it aside. Realizing I had no clue, she unwrapped it for me, put it on a plate, dolloped it with sour cream (smetana) and sprinkled it with sugar. Thus began my love affair with farmer's cheese. I realized how versatile the mild, crumbly and buttery cheese was and found it everywhere, from varenyky to syrniki to a pastries, like the one I had in Toronto. Still, it's very hard to come by outside of urban areas, so when I come across, I make sure to grab some.

After my enthusiasm wanes, I realize I don't know what to do with it and Russian and Ukrainian recipes tend to take a while. Still, not wanting it to waste, I found this recipe for Sryniki, which I ended up using and loving the results. I omitted the raisins and lemon zest, opting for a dollop of my own Lemon and Ginger syrup (a jelly attempt gone bad!). 

Sryniki Frying Away

While the recipe is quick and easy, let's not forget it's fried in a hefty amount of butter and slathered in jam. Here's how I get around such things: Pretend you're a Cossack. It's freezing out, you've been hard at work, doing what Cossack's do and you need a hardy dish to sustain you, so tuck in and enjoy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...