Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 57: Big Plans Ahead

Thinking about reruns and the possibility of eating the same things over again has given me the kick in the butt to be more creative with our remaining days. Normally, I'm not this creative with meal planning and that's one of the perks of this challenge in the winter: I have more free time.

So, here are some ideas for future meals. Feel free to chime in and offer some suggestions on meals or ideas I'm forgetting about:
  • Pizza with white sauce (my tomato supply is alarmingly low and I have enough for one more meal and I'm saving it for a special occasion)
  • Chicken and Dumplings
  • Beef Stroganoff
  • Coq Au Vin
  • Something fun for St. Patricks Day - Irish Soda Bread and a Beef Stew (which is where my last tomatoes are going, I'm assuming)
  • Bubble 'N Squeak
  • I'm terrified and excited to try making perogies from scratch, but I'll try it
  • Pumpkin Pie sweetened with maple syrup - maybe after our yearly visit to the sugar shack in March
  • Pumpkin Gnocchi with brown butter and sage
Anything I'm missing? Here's what I have ample supplies to: whole wheat flour, oatmeal, carrots, onions, garlic, turnips, parsnips, frozen blueberries, apples, butter, milk, cream, yogurt,  honey, maple syrup, herbs, spices, fresh basil, cilantro, sour cream, cheddar, feta, fresh goat cheese and Neufchatel. So my foodie buddies, what would you make with this?

So while I dream up new and wonderful local delights, here's a peek at what I had for breakfast:

Whole Wheat Crepes with Country Cheese Filling

My thanks to buddy Alyson at Dates and Quinces for inspiring me to make crepes. I've never actually made them, or eaten them, so forgive my interpretation of how to wrap or serve crepes. I filled them with the pressed cottage cheese (country cheese) I brought from Ontario, which was lovely. A mild, creamy cheese flavour with the maple syrup was great. I made one with Raspberry Lemon jam and cheese, which was OK, but not the best choice in a crepe. I had a Plum Port jam tucked aside for this purpose, but I came home from vacation with the jar emptied and Jeff shame faced. That's the down side of having only one of every kind of jam in my pantry!

5 comments:

  1. What about something like this:

    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001949712

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can picture the shame-face..I see it around here all the time :)
    I've been thinking of trying to make crepes also - maybe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know what you think of the crepes, Jessie! I'm sure Jeff's relieved he's not the only one to sneak food and get caught!

    Alyson - the recipe you mentioned has cream cheese and spinach, I'll see if I can modify it somehow. Thanks for sharing it! I also think that looking at regions with similar climates to us is a great clue for what to make next (i.e. Russian cuisine in particular is great since we're working with similar root vegetables).

    Keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha Stewart's recipe for periogies is terrific. It is in her original "Entertaining" book and makes an enormous batch.

    Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! And thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to take that out my library. I'm really intimidated by perogies.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...