Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 55: Reruns

Basil Pesto with Roast Chicken Breast
Going 55 days and not repeating one main course isn't too shabby! Of course, pancakes, quick loaves, waffles, oatmeal and all manners of soups and stews continue to play a prominent role in our breakfasts and lunches, dinner is a special time to be creative. I wish I could call tonight's meal original and it almost is, except pesto and pasta has made a return to our dinner table. I needed something quick and easy and this fit the bill, as Jeff still had homemade pasta in the freezer and the pesto needs eating up. This was also the first time we've eaten roast chicken on the Challenge and to be honest, the first time we've purchased free-range, organic chicken.

Wow.

We were missing out! It was moist, tender and so flavourful. I can't imagine going back to that dried out chicken stuff again. As as added bonus, the price was reasonable: $5.85 for a large chicken breast that Jeff and I split. We roasted it with a bit of salt, pepper and basil and left it simple, as the pesto had ample flavour. I shredded a bit of aged white cheddar on top and while I missed the Parmesan, the key flavours were present and it did the trick.

Cider Glazed and Caramelized Onion Salad
We paired the pasta with a Cider Glazed Caramelized Onion Salad and although presentation wise, it can look a bit like worms on your salad, it's delicious! I normally roast thinly sliced red onions in balsamic vinegar, but I improvised by caramelizing cooking onions on the stove and finishing it with a splash of apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and honey. Here's the recipe:

2 cooking onions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp honey
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Vinaigrette:

1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp grainy mustard (I used my own Wine and Sage Mustard)
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper
2.5-3 tbsp canola oil (to taste, I like it on the vinegar side, so I kept it around 2 tbsp)

1. Very slowly cook onions in a frying pan on low heat with oil until brown and caramelized, about 25 minutes. When finished cooking, stir in honey, vinegar and spices, stir and remove from heat until ready to serve.

2. Mix vinegar, mustard, honey and seasonings and stir until salt is dissolved. Add oil in slowly and continue whisking until combined. Add to greens and top with caramelized onions. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I was shocked the first time I roasted an organic, free range chicken - it was totally different than those supermarket birds!

    The salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...