Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 35 - Rising Cost of Food

Around here, there is a lot of grumbling about the sudden increase in food costs expected this summer. Perhaps we're talking about it more because so much of our food is imported. It's surprising how little is actually produced in New Brunswick, as most of the grains and corn grown is for cattle. While I haven't paid much attention since inflation is bound to happen. Besides, whenever food has dropped in price on a continuous basis, I'm always suspicious. For instance, pineapples were a rare treat when I was younger because they were too expensive. Now, you can purchase a whole pineapple for as little as a couple dollars. Utilizing immoral labour practices, shoddy farming technique and poor soil treatment means we can pump pineapples out cheaper. For an interesting article on this, go here. Ditto major staples like sugar, coffee and cocoa. I respect paying a fair price on an item if that means the farmer, producers, grocers and I all win.

Still, I understand the pinch of needing to buy groceries on a very limited income, especially buying wholesome and nutritious food. While it may be a little hippy, I still maintain that one of the ways to avoid all this is to eat locally, eat smaller amounts and try to grow your own food. It's simple, affordable and well within our reach.

With that in mind, check out my lettuces and herbs:

Ready to Eat

Lettuce in Waiting

Mmm...Cilantro






1 comment:

  1. Ooh, that's coming along nicely! Seeing your stuff really makes me want to start a window herb garden.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...