Friday, January 21, 2011

When Life Hands You Turkey


You make a stew, a soup, a pasta dish and a pie. At least, that's what I plan on doing.

Admittedly, I winced a little when picking up our Epiphany turkey at the local butchers. Turns out, happier birds cost at least 3x as much. Since I've heard from turkey farmers about the sad state of an abnormally busty and completely confined turkey's life, I'm happy to pay the extra. Well. Maybe not happy, but understanding.

Every time I shell out for an expensive turkey, I almost always forget how much that big bird just keeps giving and giving. After the stuff-yourself-until-you-can't-breathe initial turkey roast comes the sandwiches, the carcass gets boiled for soup and the meat gets frozen for future use. Unsure exactly what to do with pounds of sliced turkey and not ready for more pasta, I opted for a quintessential winter dish: a turkey pot pie.

For the crust, I managed somehow to appear busy long enough that Jeff made the dough (yippee! I hate fiddly cooking). He followed this recipe from All Recipes, but ommitted the shortening for butter. I'm so glad I stalled long enough because no one makes pastry like Jeff.

For the filling, I adapted this recipe from All Recipes:

Turkey Pot Pie

4 tbsp butter, divided
1 small onion, minced
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 small turnip, peeled and diced
3 tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp uncanny's grainy mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups vegetable stock
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups diced turkey
3 tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk

1. In a deep, large frying pan, melt 2 tbsp of butter and sautee onions, carrots, spices and mustard until softened. Add potatoes and turnip with 2 cups of stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are al dente.
2. While this is cooking, in a medium saucepan, melt remaining 2 tbsp of butter and add 3 tbsp of flour. Very slowly, add in your milk while constantly stirring to make a rudimentary bechemel sauce.
3. Once vegetable mixture is softened, add cubed turkey and bechemel sauce and stir until mixture is incorporated and thickened. Let cool completely before adding to your pie crust.
4. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, reducing heat to 350 degrees and baking for another 20 minutes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm. That sounds awesome! I suck SO much with pastry. It's my least favourite thing to make (read: fight with) ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand pastry. I'm so glad Jeff likes making the pasta and pastry. He has a knack for things that require patience and precision.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...