Saturday, January 15, 2011

Rabbit Food and Baby Bunny Muffins

Mesclun Mix

Behold: GREENS! 

Baby Basil


Can you tell I'm excited?! As much as I love root vegetables, I'm craving salad and bright, fresh flavours, not to mention something a little softer on the teeth. We've set up our grow lights and growing lettuces successively, basil, cilantro, jalapeño peppers, thyme and rosemary. There's something wonderful about seeing seedlings in the dead of winter; a reminder that spring will be here before you know it. Fingers crossed,  we'll have a good crop of herbs and lettuce to enjoy before long. I've got a roasted beet and feta salad in mind once that lettuce is bigger.

Now that we've allowed spices back into our diet, the sky really has been the limit. I was very excited to make Honey Bear some muffins full of warm and cozy spices, like ginger and cinnamon. Using a tart pan makes these two-bite muffins for grown ups and muffin sized for toddlers.

Baby Bunny Muffins

Baby Bunny Muffins
Yields: 28 tiny muffins

Adapted from a Canadian Living Recipe.

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup large flaked oats
1/2 cup jam (I used Pear Maple Walnut Conserve)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon and ground ginger
1 cup milk
1 large egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup shredded carrots (or shredded apples, or 1/2 cup of each)

Mix dry ingredients together. If you have a stand mixer, chuck all your wet ingredients together (minus the carrots) and mix until combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the carrots. Pour into a greased muffin or tart pan and bake at 350 degrees until cooked (about 16 minutes for mini muffins and 30 minutes for large

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, growth! That's super exciting.

    I love the baby muffin recipe. That's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I love this. How long until the seedlings are ready to go? Any chance of a pre-planting harvest?

    Also, I love, love, LOVE the mini muffins. Those are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The baby muffins look great. Whenever I make banana bread I use a baby muffin pan, they just taste better bite size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time making bite sized muffins and I love it. Easy to snack on, easy to freeze, faster to bake.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...