Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday Musings Over Turkey Fiesta Soup

I woke up to this:


 I woke up to a gorgeously sunny and astonishingly freezing temperatures of -24 (-38 with the windchill.) For my Farenheit buddies, that's -11 or -36. It was the kind of morning that as much as you want to enjoy that sun, you're mindful that you're skin will freeze in  minutes and I kind of like my skin as is.

Gorgeously Sunny and Astonishingly Freezing

As I stared out my kitchen window into my garden, lost in reverie amid a cloud of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and coffee aromas, I surveyed the backyard that is now buried under multiple inches of snow. I spotted my poor baby magnolia tree, almost covered completely with snow and wondered how anything can bounce back after such a punishing winter. How does something so fragile return, year after year, to grace us with such beautiful and delicate flowers after being pummeled by wind, sleet, snow and inhumane temperatures?

This is a question only a big pot of soup can answer. If you have soup, you have everything.

Turkey Fiesta Soup


I can't really give a recipe, since it's such a smattering of this and that. Some cubed cooked turkey, about 1 1/4 cups chipotle salsa, some vegetable broth, some onions, carrots and cabbage, some cumin, coriander, chili powder and parsley. Some rehydrated Yellow Eyed Peas, some "refried" beans I had kicking about, a bit of sour cream and some shredded sharp cheddar. It was spicy, smokey and soul-soothingly and bone-warmingly delicious. Until it warms up, this Locavore is holding tight, over a steaming bowl of soup and dreaming of warmer days to come.

1 comment:

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...