Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Great Locavore Tool: The Flavor Bible

The Flavour Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America’s Most Imaginative Chefs by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg is a darling of a book. If you're committed to eating local, but aren't sure how you can dress up your local fare, this is your book. 

Less of a cookbook
 and more of an encyclopedia of flavors, this hefty book lists hundreds of ingredients and makes recommendations of what spices, fruits, vegetables, proteins and oils would compliment that food. You'd think it'd be boring, but it really does spark your imagination of how you can take that ordinary item and turn it into something extraordinary and if you're anything like me, that's pretty exciting! 

In addition to the lists of complimentary flavours is a final note about flavour affinities and some mind-blowing combinations. I for one can't wait to try the combination of rhubarb + blood orange + carmalized sugar. 

If you're looking for a cookbook to spark your imagination, this is it. It won't tell you what to do, or how to do it, so you need a certain level of comfort in the kitchen and willingness to experiment. Happy cooking!


3 comments:

  1. Ooh, that looks great! I'm going to check it out of the library.

    I just got Nigel Slater's Tender II for Christmas; it makes me want a garden so badly! I HIGHLY recommend both it and Tender I. They're really inspiring in terms of seasonal eats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this info. This may be just what I need to take my canning to the next level...and experiment with flavour combinations to come up with more of my own recipes. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly what I thought! There are some amazing combinations that I'm itching to try. Unfortunately, some of them are off season combos (like rhubarb and blood orange), but most berries can be frozen and brought out once citrus is in season.

    I plan to open a branch of my uncanny preserves that will feature some of these amazing combos.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...