We're wrapping up Day 10 and celebrating our progress as it's been a tough slug. Here are a few things we've learned:
- We eat way more than I anticipated. My stocked deep freezer is almost half gone and we've got 90 days remaining.
- Honey Bear could happily survive on blueberries and freshly baked bread
- We are part of the best CSA imaginable: Natures Route Farm. We signed up back in November for the winter package, which was supposed to end at the end of December. They've generously extended their shares until February because of a bountiful harvest this year. This has been extremely helpful in providing us with a variety of vegetables.
- You really can get used to grassy herbal tea
- We can only make it 10 days without an overhaul of the challenge.
Part of us feels like we've let ourselves down in not being able to go the distance at the level of commitment we originally signed up for. However, if I have to eat one more root vegetable with only salt and sage, I'm going to lose it. As of today, we're opening up this challenge to spices, coffee and tea just like the Dark Days Challenge. We aren't changing our commitment to local grains, meats, dairy, seafood, fruit or vegetables. I just need some variety of flavour and absolutely need my coffee back!
So I open it up to discussion: an understandable shift in direction or complete cop-out?