Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 10 - A Review and Shift in Direction

It's a perfect day to blog. A winter storm just began and it's resembling a snow globe outside. I've just finished a huge pot of turkey soup and have some tomatoes simmering for what I hope will be a tasty tomato sauce. 

We're wrapping up Day 10 and celebrating our progress as it's been a tough slug. Here are a few things we've learned:
  • We eat way more than I anticipated. My stocked deep freezer is almost half gone and we've got 90 days remaining.
  • Honey Bear could happily survive on blueberries and freshly baked bread
  • We are part of the best CSA imaginable: Natures Route Farm. We signed up back in November for the winter package, which was supposed to end at the end of December. They've generously extended their shares until February because of a bountiful harvest this year. This has been extremely helpful in providing us with a variety of vegetables.
  • You really can get used to grassy herbal tea
  • We can only make it 10 days without an overhaul of the challenge.
Part of us feels like we've let ourselves down in not being able to go the distance at the level of commitment we originally signed up for. However, if I have to eat one more root vegetable with only salt and sage, I'm going to lose it.  As of today, we're opening up this challenge to spices, coffee and tea just like the Dark Days Challenge. We aren't changing our commitment to local grains, meats, dairy, seafood, fruit or vegetables. I just need some variety of flavour and absolutely need my coffee back! 

So I open it up to discussion: an understandable shift in direction or complete cop-out? 








6 comments:

  1. Totally understandable. Wars were fought over the spice trade for a reason. Once you've had variety, you cannot go back.

    For what it's worth, I think it's awesome you even did it for 10 days. That's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alyson. It was the tomato sauce that did it. I realized I could only stand the same basic flavours for only so long. Now that we've introduced spices back in, there's a million and two things we can do with local ingredients, like a curry or a pumpkin pie with the last sugar pumpkin from our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a learning process for you and your family. Give yourself a little credit, and make a little list of things you can grow this summer to ease your pain next January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Amy. That's exactly what I was thinking. With better planning, I could dry my herbs for the winter and have MUCH more fruits and vegetables planned. In fact, I've gone crazy this winter ordering all different kinds of berries and fruit bushes so in a year or two, I'll have plenty to stock my freezer with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are setting a great example for your family and others. If more people did half as well as you there would be a complete shift in the way we value what our world provides. Enjoy the coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I think you guys are doing great, bring on the spices and coffee. As for me, coffee is on the list of things I won't give up.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...