Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dark Days Challenge #6 - Breakfast of Champions



I made my Dark Days meal a little early because often times, life gets in the way and before you know it, Wednesday has passed with a meal that is not 100% local.

With this Dark Days challenge, I wanted to focus less on dinners and more on a quick, nutritious and local meal that is a cinch to make. I love shakes; it's instant nutrition and a true grab-and-go meal. It's also a fantastic way to clean up some leftovers in your fridge.

Here's how I made mine:

Serves: 1 large portion

3/4 cup skim milk
3 tbsp yogurt
1 tbsp maple syrup
3/4 cup blueberries
3 large kale leaves
3 tbsp large flaked oats
1/4 cup apple cider

Blend and serve. I have a cheapy blender, so it wasn't silky smooth, but I like texture. The kale was hidden by the blueberries, so it wasn't an overwhelming vegetable taste. The cider and maple syrup added the contrasting sweetness to the tang of yogurt and the oats acted as a nice thickener. If you have it, try adding an unpeeled apple for more fibre and sweetness. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that's neat! I have kale sitting in my fridge right now... hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...