Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Build Me Up, Buttercup

Only this bad boy didn't let me down. I bought him for a whopping $.29/lb. Nothing like local AND cheap! I've focused on desserts with this squash, instead of my usual roasted squash soup, mostly because we're under doctor's orders to fatten up Honey Bear. Turns out, it might just be us (read: me) that's doing any fattening, since Honey Bear turned her nose up at both dishes. Still, don't let the untrained palate of a 17-month-old discourage you. They were delicious!

First up was a Buttercup Squash Custard based on a Rachael Ray recipe:

1 buttercup squash (the cooked flesh should measure 2 lbs on your kitchen scale)
3 large eggs, plus 2 large egg yolks
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla and cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg

Throw your 2 lbs of cooked squash in the food processor and process until smooth. In your stand mixer or using a hand mixer and a deep bowl, add your pureed squash and the rest of your ingredients and process until smooth. Butter and fill 6-8 ramekins with your custard mixture and place in a large 9x13 pan, filled half way with warm water. Bake at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes until firm and tester comes out clean. This is a delicious custard, very similar to pumpkin pie filling without the hassle of a pie crust.

The tasty finished product.

The second was a Maple Buttercup Bread, very much like a pumpkin or banana loaf. I found the recipe here at Diana's Desserts and followed the directions exactly, just omitted the lemon juice. It was a quick and easy way to use up the rest of my buttercup squash puree. My only recommendation is to keep the temperature around 325 degrees for the full bake. I followed the directions of 350 degrees and at about 30 minutes in, my loaf was burning but still soupy in the middle.

Honey Buttercup Bread

1 comment:

  1. Mmm. The custard looks delicious! I may have to try that out next week...

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...