Saturday, December 11, 2010

Dark Days Challenge #3

Potato and Leek Soup
Being away on holidays, I've decided to whip up a batch up soup and blog about it before leaving. Once again, I'm not fully prepared for the challenge and realize I need to get moving on making some staples, like stocks. I love making stock, but jeez, it takes forever and I use it up so quickly. I keep meaning to make at least a vegetable stock, but haven't gotten around to it so this week's soup had only the benefit of salt and some fresh window box thyme. Topped with crisp, local bacon and some sharp shredded cheddar, it was still pretty tasty. Frankly, bacon and cheese on top of anything is delicious.

The recipe belongs to Canadian Living

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! Cheese and bacon make everything awesome.

    Tell me about your local bacon! Is it naturally smoked too? I found a local (and natural) bacon here about a year ago, and I haven't looked back since then. It tastes SO different than anything I've had before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I don't know. Just checking the label and it says natural smoke and nitrates, which I'm assuming is not natural. It came precooked, which I wasn't used to and the texture is completely different from bacon I'm used to. It's a lot less salty and fatty, which is a bonus. It's the closest I could come to local bacon. What does your taste like? Maybe next time I'm in Toronto, I should stock up.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...